Wednesday, April 3, 2013

ZacksQuest Contemplates- The Plague Doctor

Welcome to the first of the ZacksQuest Contemplates- where I talk about Fears, what I like about them, what I dislike about them, and what I would do if I wasn't too damn lazy to write a Fearblog. I'll talk about many aspects: I usually talk about the vanilla aspect of the Fear a lot, but I also talk about chocolate, sprinkles, bananna fudge, blood, visceral fluid, eldritch energy drink, and clear.
Our first contender up on the examination booth is the Plague Doctor.
Ah, the Plague Doctor. Many people know he's among my top ten favorite Fears, probably around the five or six spot, and for very good reason- he controls illness, the leading cause of all death in the universe ever, from the smallest amoeba to the largest outbreak of swine flu. And he's fucking creepy.
His appearance is unoriginal, but forgiving, as he walks/floats/looms around in a medieval plague doctor's outfit, complete with a wide-brimmed hat and in some interpretations a cloak made of sentient bacteria that eat any and all bio-organic matter that pass near it.
He can control illness itself in all its forms, and this causes some serious paranoia problems for me as someone with definite problems with my immune system. He is also known to spread hypochondria, which is not a disease. Nope. He instills the fear of himself and what he represents inside you before he comes back to feast upon your oozing lesions... too far. It doesn't even have to be a physical issue. He can probably make your cells metasticize with simply a touch, and can give you a slew of mental health problems.
Another little aspect of his power comes in the fact that he has legions (not to be confused with lesions, which is a festering oval-like sore that I just mentioned in the above paragraph) of homicidal doctors who have sworn to violate the Hippocratic Oath, known as Oathbreakers. These people spread around plagues and death like its confetti, and the fact that these are people that the populace goes to for assistance and help makes it... just a tad jarring.
Honestly, I love the Plague Doctor. He is pestilence incarnate (which is a title sadly given to the Intrusion, which I think is undeserved of the mass of not-quite-creepy crawlies) and the amount of paranoia and body horror that he gives off. He is among my favorite beings in the Fear Mythos.
Really Good Blogs to Read:

No comments:

Post a Comment